1. Print the FREE PDF pattern and assemble it using the diagram provided on page 1 of the pattern pieces
2. Fold your fabric in half and cut out the pieces using the provided layout ( layout also available in the PDF)
3. Prepare the waist ties: take 2 of your 4 Piece E. Fold in half as shown and stitch along the long raw edge and one short edge at 1/2" seam. Turn right side out and neatly press.
4. Prepare the shoulder straps: take the 2 remaining piece E, fold in half as shown and sew a 1/2" seam on the long edge only. Turn right side out and neatly press.
5. Bib Front: align Right Side edge of the shoulder straps to the Right Side top edge of the bib piece. They should be positioned 1/2" from the sides to allow for seam allowance. Baste in place at 3/8"
6. Lay the other bib piece on top, Right Side together, sandwiching the straps. Pin in place and stitch around the sides and top at 1/2". Leave the bottom unstitched.
7. Turn the bib right side out and press
8. Take one of your waistband pieces and lay it Right Side up. Position the bottom edge of the bib Right Side up on top of the waistband piece, matching the notches
9. Lay the 2nd waistband piece on top of the bib Wrong Side up. Line up the notches. Your bib will be sandwiched between the two waistband pieces. Sew along the bottom edge at 1/2" and leaving 1/2" unstitched at either end to insert the waist ties later
10. Skirt: at the front waist as indicated on the pattern, create your choice of pleats or gathers or smocking. I chose pleats and secured them with a 3/8" basting stitch
11. Pockets: with the right sides together, align the pocket opening markings on the pocket with the corresponding markings on the skirt
12. Sew the rectangle as indicated
13. Cut through the length of the pocket opening right down the center to 1/4" from the top and bottom. Snip the inner corners
14. Pull the pocket bag through to the other side of the opening. And neatly press
15. Fold the pocket bag in half and sew around the edges. Serge or zig-zag the raw edges. And that's how pockets are born folks!
16. Hem the sides of the skirt by turning 1/2" twice and topstitching
17. Sew the waist of the skirt into the outer waistband layer with Right Sides together. The waistband will be 1/2" larger than the skirt on each side to accommodate the waist ties
18. Waist Ties: Sandwich the waist ties into the ends of the waistband by folding the waistband in half along the seam line with Right Sides together. Stitch 1/2" and turn right side out
19. Finish the inside of the waist: turn the lower edge of the inner waistband ( Wrong Side). Catch this edge by topstitching around the waistband or by hand-stitching in place
20. Hem the bottom of the skirt. Turn 1/2" and again a full 1". Topstitch close to the folded edge
21. Try on the pinafore to position the shoulder straps in a comfortable place in the back waist. Sew in place with a topstitch
Give it a quick press and your Apron Pinafore is ready to face your days with you