Cotton Tea Towel Tutorial
1. Iron your unwashed fabric so it is wrinkle free and then cut along the colored middle line to separate the fabric into two towels. Trim away any of the colored lines and the selvedges.
2. Fold the long edges ¼” to the wrong side of the fabric and press. Fold an additional ⅜” and press again.
3. Sew the pressed edges down close to the inner fold, making sure to backstitch at the start and end of your sewing.
4. Repeat step 2 on the two shorter sides.
5. On the bottom short edge of your towel only, sew your hem down like you did with the long edges in step 3.
6. On the wrong side of the top edge, mark the center point with a pin, chalk, or a disappearing ink marker.
Cut 2x 4” hanging loops from the ribbon packed with your kit, and fold in half.
7. Unfold your pressed hem once and place the ends of your hanging loop at the center point, then fold over your hem enclosing the ends of the tape within. Pin in place, and then sew your hem as before securing the hanging loop into your hem.
8. Trim away any loose sewing threads.
To square up your fabric, gently tug the towels in each direction on the diagonal. Give your hems a final press on the wrong side to set your stitches. Your towels are ready for washing and use.