Easy Linen Robe Sewing Tutorial
YOU WILL NEED
2 yards of IL028 Linen fabric
1. Pre-wash your fabric using our recommended washing instructions here.
2. Lay out your fabric flat, and cut your fabric according to the diagram below. Start by cutting the belt fabric away from the robe fabric. Then use the diagram as a guide for making cuts in the fabric as shown by the dashed lines.
3. Set aside your sash/belt fabric for now. Take your main fabric piece and lay it with the right side down (we’ve chosen the black side as our right side).
4. Cut away two triangles of fabric from the neckline. The image below shows we have already cut one triangle away, and the second triangle has been cut away and is pictured in the photo below.
5. Flip the cloth so it is facing right side up. Fold the top edges of the fabric down to meet the cut line for the sleeve. Pin together.
6. Then fold in the side edges to the center. These will meet up with your neck opening. Pin the two raw edges, with right sides together. You may also find it helpful to fold the top half and sleeve down and out of the way to do this.
7. Head over to your sewing machine and sew along the previously pinned sleeve and front opening with ½” zig zag or serge the raw edges together, repeat on the other sleeve and side.
8. Turn your robe right side out. This is a good time to try it on, and adjust the length. Zigzag or serge around the opening and neck.
9. Hem the sleeves, bottom of robe, and front opening by folding the edges twice to the wrong side 1/4”, and sewing close to the inner folded edge.
10. Take your belt piece and fold in half lengthways, with right sides together. Sew a ½” away from one long and one short edge. You will leave the other short edge open
11. Turn the belt right side out, and press. Push the raw edges of the short opening into the belt ½” and stitch the end closed.